Tuesday 14 August 2012

Awesome Aussie August: Happy Birthday August

This is my first watermarble and I thought it would be the best way to create sardonyx for August. Most people would associate peridot as August's birthstone but sardonyx is an alternative birthstone. Sardonyx is a layered stone in shades of red and white.

Sardonyx image by Adrian Pingstone. Public Domain image via Wikipedia Commons
Today also marks the first month since I started this blog. Happy one month anniversary Stubby Nubbins!

I decided to use some Mode polishes as they are cheap and I have seen them used for watermarbling previously. Red Velvet is a glorious metallic red that has an almost rust shimmer. In the future this will be shown again to share some of it's goodness.


Watermarbling is messy! I am not sure that I would easily do this on both hands without ruining the manicure. Lots of sticky tape, cotton buds, wipes, paper towel and acetone was used.

I think I needed to let the nail polish dry more before I applied the top coat. In all of the tutorials I have read, they mention that you need to work quickly. It is possibly due to the weather that the polish stayed wet over the water for a long time. This made it extraordinarily difficult to clean around my finger before I pulled it out of the water.


What you don't see here is my test run over my old manicure. This used Mode Red Velvet, Cerise and So Parisian. It did not work so well so I started with Cerise and N.Y.C. Color Casper.So Parisian was too sheer to use. I used the same two colours for the index finger. I did not feel this look was right as Cerise became too pink in the marbling. A better result was achieved when I used Red Velvet and Casper on my thumb, middle and little fingers. My little finger was my favourite but I ruined it with my top coat. The other finger that turned out well was the thumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment