Thursday 20 September 2012

Shift Happens over Purple Velvet

I had a disaster of the nail kind. Nails on both of my hands broke and I had to trim the others off to suit. Thankfully it was my right hand that had the worst damage where I had to cut them down drastically. Now my fingernails are nubbier than ever.

There was a quick removal of my Dragon with an Iridescent Eye manicure and I had to apply a quick manicure before I had to head off to work. What to wear? What would dry in time? I know, I would use Orly Purple Velvet. Matte polishes are always a good choice because they look good and dry quickly.

After a day of wear the polish was looking pretty bad. I really did not feel like removing it and applying something else. There was not the time for that! What to do? Girly Bits Shift Happens was one of my deeply craved polishes and it was sitting in my "to be used" area. Yes, I would add Shift Happens over Purple Velvet and see how it looks. Two coats went on and of course I had multichromatic loveliness. Hmmm but I had a similar loveliness when I used Fantasy Fire earlier this month...


Aha! I know that the Orly Matte polishes stamp reasonably well so I decided to stamp over the top of my manicure and see how well that worked. I think it is wonderful because you are surprised by the design when you get the colour shift. I used an image from Bundle Monster BM-224


When I wore this indoors, I tended to get mainly a red sparkle. Shift Happens did change colour more readily than Fantasy Fire but I do find Fantasy Fire prettier. This is most likely due to the colour I wore underneath Shift Happens. Purple Velvet gives the polish an unusual purple colour that seems almost a dusty colour. And obviously this shift was stronger because I was able to photograph these colours unlike when I attempted to do the same with Fantasy Fire. Being a top coat, Shift Happens would be more versatile. I am interested to see how fiery it would look over an orange base colour.


As you can see from my pictures, I did not clean up well and there is a lot of chipped wear out of my tips. I almost did not take pictures of this because I did not really want to share how lazy/awful I was with this manicure. On the other hand, you can not deny that it is very pretty. I especially like the first picture were you can see all of the colours over the nail. Below is a picture of what it looked like most of the time but much more red. Artificial light seemed to bring out the red play in Shift Happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment