Wednesday 14 November 2012

Good Morning Sun. Are you ready to be eclipsed?

Mr R is very excited about the eclipse this morning. He has set his alarm so that he can be up in time to view it. Unfortunately we do not have viewing glasses but we looked up pinhole viewing techniques. Both of the children were warned about the dangers of viewing the sun directly because even the smallest slither of the sun can cook your eye.

So, sun are you ready to be eclipsed by that itty, bitty moon? I hope to try to get some kind of decent picture but I am not certain I will. This is an opportunity we won't have here until 2028.

Pre-eclipse
I took pictures through the (currently ongoing as I update this) event. The eclipse could not be captured by me on camera at the maximum eclipse here of around 80% coverage of the sun. About an hour before the maximum eclipse I did take a picture where you can see the moon on approach to the left.

Moon on left on approach to eclipse
It was very dramatic when the light suddenly dimmed due to the passage of the moon. You could still see plenty of sunlight but it was as though it was earlier in the morning or the sun had been obscured by cloud in shadowing. We did manage to view the partial eclipse using pinhole viewing techniques.  The resulting shadow becomes a crescent rather than a round shape.

Pinhole viewing
Time to get myself ready for I will be late for work. I managed to get the children ready before the "action" but not myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment