Friday 20 July 2012

"Splendid" Eye Shadow Franken - An Experiment

I do not wear eyeshadow. There is a skill in applying it that I can not, will not master.

What do I do with all of these loose mineral eye shadows that I have been given?

Use them as nail polish pigments!


I used the clear from Ulta3 from a bin dive at the supermarket. Two stainless steel ball bearings (if you believe the eBay listing and only time will tell) were fed into an empty 5 ml nail polish bottle also bought from eBay. The bottle was half filled with the clear polish from Ulta3.

For pigment, I used Splendid from Everyday Minerals.This most likely came in a starter pack when I was trying out mineral foundations many years ago. Splendid is no longer available but it would be a pretty eye shadow to wear if you were not skill deficient like me. It's a beautiful lilac colour with shimmer and was added to my nail polish bottle. I used an old piping tip (from a disposable icing set) as a funnel to try to easily get pigment through the mouth and neck of the bottle. It worked to a degree.

Shake, shake shake and a glorious nail polish is formed when the pigment is dispersed through the clear. Top it up with more clear and shake to combine. Each pigment would work differently and may not be suitable. It all comes down to experimenting. Add less so that you have a layering polish. Add more than one pigment to see what you can get.


Mr R named this one Splendid Shimmer. In the base I used, it looked quite thin but two coats applied well. There is a subtle shimmer that translated from the pigment in the eye shadow to appearing on the nail. It is too early and too frosty to be able to go outside to try to get a better picture than the one below.


The thing that surprised me was that the pigment remained suspended in the base overnight. I am very happy with the result of this experiment. There is an earlier attempt that I may share with you another time. Mr R named that one... Smurf Droppings...

No comments:

Post a Comment