Saturday 1 December 2012

Dead Ringer for Fantasy Fire. Shift Happens eh?

It seems a long time ago when I bought Ringer from Darling Diva Polish on etsy. Ringer is much more affordable and in a larger bottle than Fantasy Fire. That is even when you consider shipping it to Australia. I thought I could go the whole hog and get a mini bottle and a large bottle for that shifting goodness.

Then when my bottles arrived there had been another arrival in Australia. Yes, Max Factor had released Fantasy Fire here. Of course I had to secure my own bottle. Ok, maybe I had to get two but I did share!


Looking at Ringer and Fantasy Fire in their bottles they seem to have exactly the same shift at the same time. Sometimes when I look really hard I wonder if the particles in Ringer may be a little larger than Fantasy Fire. The base colour appears similar although Ringer is more sheer in appearance. Maybe there are more particles in Fantasy Fire but using the polish I did not notice any difference on the nail.


For my base colour I tried to choose a similar colour to the base colour of Fantasy Fire. I wanted a simple creme polish but I found that I did not really have one even though I love purple so much. There seems to be an added factor to most of my polishes. I used Satin Seasonal Nail Enamel 1. Two coats were applied but I feel I should have added a third. This is because I think it would have added more depth to the colour and made the polish pop more.


I had exceptional trouble trying to capture Fantasy Fire on camera today. It is swelteringly hot and I wonder if somehow the camera is affected. That seems silly but I could not stop taking pictures and getting good shots the last time I photographed Fantasy Fire for Spring. Fantasy Fire was applied to my index and ring fingers and Ringer graces my middle and little fingers. For an extra comparison but not really captured, I used Girly Bits Shift Happens on my thumb.

It may seem in the above photo that the middle finger may have less pigment but you can not tell any difference in reality. The difference in the picture may be the angle or the like.


Shift Happens seems to change more readily from red to yellow and for longer than Fantasy Fire and Ringer. Essentially, there is not much difference in the Ringer from the handmade batch I had to Fantasy Fire. I would call them dupes. Shift Happens is a great alternative and could be applied to a greater array of colours as it does not have the purple coloured based of Fantasy Fire and Ringer.


I was thrilled when I was able to capture this blue shift that came after the green shift. This seems to be the greatest extreme of the colour shift in these polishes.

All three polishes are beautiful and I feel fortunate in owning all three. Shift Happens ended up being the most difficult for me to buy but it eventually came my way from Llarowe. Personally, if you just want Fantasy Fire and can't buy it at a local shop, I would buy Ringer from Darling Diva. I would hurry because it seems as though this pigment is going to he hard to get if at all. For versatility, I would get Shift Happens. I have one more way I want to try Shift Happens as the colour shift changes nature depending on the base colour.

There you go Melissa. I posted as promised. :)

2 comments:

  1. Noooo! You mentioned Ringer in a comment to me and I have my eye on it now, but payday isn't until next week. When I saw it I knew you were right and it was a great dupe. Your pictures show just how perfect it is! You even get that pretty green shift to come out! I just need it to say in stock for a week...You just had to do an awesome comparison and spill the secret! If it sells out because of this, we might just have a problem... :) Or, perhaps, I have a problem (or obsession) that needs to be addressed. Thanks for this swatch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for inspiring me to do this post. I had taken those bottle shots months ago with the intention of comparing the two.

      I had to get some kind of shift to come out because I had a terrible time taking the pictures. I wish I had some more pictures with Shift Happens properly shown too.

      I hope the stocks last until pay day. I have always had great customer service from Darling Diva. She even made minis of polish that she no longer listed and I had waited way too long to order. At least it will be easy to get in North America unlike the Max Factor. I don't think Fantasy Fire is available here anymore either unless there are stocks from that range hiding somewhere. The display for that collection seems to have been put away.

      Delete